Thursday, June 5, 2008

Darlin', oh no (OH YEAH)

I forgot to add to my previous post (and the post-scripts were getting a little nutso), but have you heard of Chester French? Um, probably. They're the newest viral hit, what with Pharell calling them 'geniuses' and signing them to his label.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for hipster-pop. I know it's pretentious, blah blah blah, but it tends to be pretty catchy. I feel like a dancer on American Bandstand -- "It's got a great beat, and I can dance to it!" But sometime, all you want to listen to is good pop: infectious, sing-a-long, dance-a-long, insidious pop tunes that play in a loop in your brain until you crave a lobotomy.

Chester French isn't quite that, and I'm not so sure that I'd go so far to call them geniuses. (And no, genius isn't relegated to the above factors. I like other things, too. I just have very specific standards for pop.) They remind me quite a bit of Rooney, but with more doo-wop sensabilities.
If Rooney, Buddy Holly, and the Beach Boys had a musical love child, the resulting abomination would be Chester French. And what a lovely abomination they are.

--amanda

No comments: