Sunday, March 8, 2009

Aloha HARD.

I saw this last night and laughed so hard, I started wheezing.



It's funny, but I find myself having similar conversations whenever I'm on the mainland:
Stranger: Oh, you live in Hawai'i? How awesome is it?
Me: If by "awesome" you mean paying $1.50 for a single lemon, it's pretty freaking awesome.
Stranger: But you must go to the beach and surf all the time, right?
Me: Not at all. I'm not on vacation; I have things to do, exorbitant bills to pay.
--conversation ends awkwardly--

Don't get me wrong, Hawai'i's lovely, but living here is not the same thing as vacationing here. The story about the shanty town, complete with meth lab and teenage pregnancy? So true and so prevalent, it hurts.

All that aside, I'm madly in love with The Rock*, even if he is a Samoan man playing a Hawaiian man doing a Tahitian-style dance.


_________________________
*I know he's going by his "real name", but he'll always be The Rock to me.

4 comments:

Diana said...

There was this life size cardboard cut out at the grocery store of The Rock (this was at his prime, years ago). I caught all these people staring and pointing. I look over and I see my mom, a highly educated woman who teaches, hugging and pretend making-out with it and she thought no one was watching.

I think you would like that story!

amanda said...

Haha! That's awesome! It sounds like something that would happen to me and my friends.

Diana said...

Haha, that would be hilarious. It's different when it's your mother O_0

amanda said...

Seriously, I've had to untag my mother from pictures on Facebook.