Saturday, April 19, 2008

Trio Esperança: Pop Geniuses

Dear No On in Particular,

I would like to introduce you to Trio Esperança: a group of 3 sisters from Brasil who made a name for themselves singing catchy pop tunes.



Apparently, they were quite good a capella singers, but I learned of them through the beauty of iTunes.

iTunes and/or Apple only have one of their albums, a dual-CD from the "Serie Bis" called Jovem Guarda. It's pretty damn amazing. I somehow stumbled across their cover of "My Boy Lollipop" ("Meu Bem Lollipop" in Portuguese), and fell totally in love. I have a ridiculous love of cheesy 60's pop -- the bouncier and more ludicrous, the better -- so Trio Esperança was right up my alley. I find that already farcical songs like The Seekers' "Georgy Girl" and Petula Clark's "Downtown" become insanely irresistible in Trio Esperança's hands: impossibly energetic beats, combined with their peppy soprano voices is pop music heaven.

I listened to samples of all the songs on "Jovem Guarda", and cherry picked my favourites, but if this CD becomes a staple in my "frequently played" list, then I might have to pick up the rest of the CDs.
I really, really wanted to upload the songs via Muxtape and post them here, but apparently iTunes songs aren't MP3s? Whatever, Muxtape and iTunes hate each other or something, so I can't show you, blogosphere, the beauty of Trio Esperança. It's something you're going to have to seek out on your own, and trust me.
You won't be disappointed.

--amanda

ETA: The Boy has just informed me that he HATES this type of music. First, I thought he was referring to the type of music that has singing in it, but no. To him, the trio's Betty Boop-esque voices are like nails on a chalkboard to his ears. I would be annoyed by this, but then again, this is the same Boy who didn't know about The Dark Side of Oz phenomenon . Pitiful.

No comments: